Monday, April 14, 2014

Showing your daughter what beauty is

This article was powerful to read.  It made me sad, but also made me feel better knowing someone else feels as I do.  One day, in a few years, my baby is going to have likes and dislikes. She will be exposed to outside forces to influence those tastes as well.  Even more, it's horrifying to think of all the mean people that are out there who will judge and bully her if she likes things they don't.   


Then again, she'll have to look no further than me to get her first life lessons.  She'll see what I think is beautiful and it will influence her. 


I also know, if she ever knew about what I really think about myself when I look in the mirror, I'd immediately influence her negatively.  She would start to critique every little thing about her perfect little face and body.  I don't want that for her.   I want her to know that it's ok to acknowledge you have good physical and personality traits.  I'm committed to work hard to be a good role model for her in this way.