Monday, February 18, 2013

Push your fears aside

The access to information all around the country allows me to see and hear things that I wouldn't have the chance to otherwise.  Like the below Priest's messages which I read a few days a week, online.  It's just a snippet, but every single time I leave thinking, "Ah.  I needed to hear that."  I hope he leaves you with a few salient points to help you keep moving onward and upward.  

"Let me begin my message today by asking all of you a question. Did you know that 80% of all physical and emotional illnesses have their roots in fear and worry? Friends, let me ask you today, did you wake up worried, anxious about a challenge in your life? Have you not been able to sleep at night, tossing and turning, concerned about an obstacle in your life? Let me encourage you on this Monday to recognize that fears are part of life, but they don't have to be a WAY of life. You see, the devil is defined as the "father of lies." And too often, he will work in your thoughts telling you that this fear is so great, that it is impossible to overcome, that there is no way to get through this. Unfortunately, many times, we take the devil's bait...hook, line and sinker. We allow those fears to control our day. But let me remind you that in the Bible, one of the most often used statements by God is "don't be afraid." In fact, it is mentioned over 120 times. So don't put your faith in fear, put your faith in God. Tell yourself, I know that those fears can seem big, but my God is bigger. I know they can seem scary, but my God is greater. There is nothing, absolutely nothing, that my God can not overcome. So go out today, not believing in the devil's lies, but believing in God's truths. Go out putting your faith in God and not in fear. " 

Have a blessed Monday. 
Fr. Nicholas Louh
St. John the Divine Greek Orthodox Church, Jacksonville, FL