Friday, October 7, 2011

If you see something...say something

If you are one of the two or three people that read my blog every day you know that I just moved into my new office on the second floor of a building in an emerging neighborhood.  What does that mean?  That means that I am in love with my new space and get easily distracted by the people that are walking by down below, to and from the park.  It also means that I'm in the middle of the inner city.
(side note, that's Duke over there, snuggling with me awhile back as I worked)
This evening I was chatting with my favorite colleagues.  Work Bestie (an ardent dog lover) heard a dog barking incessantly.   The more I listened, it sounded like the dog was panicked.  We both hustled over to the windows and couldn't believe our eyes.  A woman was trying to walk a pit bull toward the park on the street below.  It was resisting her and she was whipping the dog on it's head with her leash.   Repeatedly.  I was in shock, but I remember both of us saying, "we gotta do something!  Is someone going to stop her? She does NOT know how to train a dog-  I hope that dog bites her."

Then I started hollering, "open the window, open the windowwwww!"  Thankfully, we were with a burly man who could lift up the heavy thing.  As soon as it opened work bestie hollered "HEY YOU...STOP HURTING THAT DOG!"  Wouldn't you know it, the lady actually barked back "I'm trying to get the dog under control.  I have four other dogs.  I know what I'm doing.  Mind your own business!"  I finished by hollering "go learn how to properly train your dog!"  She grumbled off but we didn't see her hitting the poor dog anymore.

I have no idea what will happen to that dog, but what I know for sure is that every single time she touches that dog, she is undoubtedly going to look over her shoulder.  She's going to second guess herself.  That's because we said something.  Next time, I'm going to follow her home on the DL and call the Humane Society.