Monday, January 14, 2013

Deep Friendship


This morning a good friend texted me, “morning, sister….” And then went on to respond about something.  After, I thought about her statement, and it’s true.  This girl, with less than two years of knowing her, is more my sister in deep friendship than so many other people that have known me for many more years. 

Then I wondered how I could feel so close with someone when we haven’t had the luxury of time to know one another?  What is different about my ability to have closer relationships now than I did ten years ago?  The difference is I’m a different person.  I’m more my true self and have learned to own who I am.  I am more open and sincere about my feelings and thoughts, good or bad.  Before, I was cautious and afraid to let people see who I was, and afraid they would see what I was hiding.  Once I could admit to myself how deeply my past had shaped who I was, I was able to begin to be me.  Now, I’m my most authentic self, 100% of the time.  That is always my goal. 

This growth was really more of a transformation of my confidence.  I am confident in who I am.  I’m proud of my life.   Because I am not afraid to be who I really am, I am able to make deeper connections with people.  I simply don’t want to waste time on less meaningful relationships. 

My experiences made me a better person.  I’m a better friend, daughter, sister and ultimately, it made me the person who could be ready to be a good wife to N. 

P.S: I also know that my bestest friends who have known me for 20 years would be insulted to think that anyone would challenge the awesome friendship we have.  There is nothing that would exchange knowing someone for twenty years (or more).  You can’t buy time.  Or trade it.