Sunday, January 13, 2013

Life back at home


Life is both bigger and smaller than I could have anticipated.  I find myself in the strange position of living back at the home I grew up in at 32.  I sold my house and moved out in preparation for my move to live with N.  Since my job is up here, we don’t have a house down there, and we aren't married yet anyway, I’m staying with my parents.  And grandparents.  And sister.  And her two teenage children.  And the two dogs.  It’s a hot mess!
I have to admit I was a bit concerned about my loss of privacy to say the least.  I was also concerned about the extra distance getting into work as well as the close quarters.  I was worried about sharing a bathroom with my teenage nephew.  I was weirded out about not only seeing my dad at work, but also at home when I got home from work. 
Friends, I have to tell you the truth.  Having the opportunity to live with my family in such an old fashioned far too close for comfort way is one of the best experiences of my life.  I wouldn't trade it for the world. 
I jokingly tell my teenage niece and nephew that being around all their crazy is going to make me super excited to move down to live with N instead of making me sad to move.  But the reality is that being here makes me appreciate them that much more.  I savor every single one of my experiences with them as well as the rest of my family.  Even more, I appreciate the time with my grandparents. 
During the holidays, we had several nights where my sister, parents and I stayed up after midnight hanging out and laughing about nothing.  It was so much fun.  Last night, my big sister and I were in hysterics as we muscled the tree out of the house spraying pine needles EVERY where.  My dad took pictures of us with a tree falling around us that we could barely manage to hold up, and he just laughed and laughed.  “Blackmail” he said. 
I’m still smiling about last night.  Every night.