Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Don't save it for a special day

I posted this list the other day.... and this number reminded me of N:

21. Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, wear the fancy lingerie. Don't save it for a special occasion. Today is special.

He got a nice coat for Christmas and didn't want to wear it.  It was too nice.  He does this often.  He'll have something that is valuable (a watch, a coat, shoes, anything) and he doesn't want to mess it up.

I get it.  In the past (and sometimes still) I have a preoccupation with messing up or losing something that is precious.  And then I get anxious.  But that is nonsense.  Possessions are meant to be used, not treated like an art exhibit.  

When we have children, I'm going to pull out the china on a random Tuesday night, make burgers and we'll all eat on them.  Just because.