Thursday, April 18, 2013

We are more beautiful than we think

You may have seen this already, but if not, take a look at the video below:

I'm going to start to own it. I'm going to start to own the parts of me that are beautiful.  Proof?  See the video below.  We are so overly critical of ourselves.  I think most of us barely see who we really are.

There are women in this video who are ashamed of themselves and sad for what they immediately recognize as the pain they have inflicted upon themselves for too long.

The truth is I have heard from many people over the years (and by so many I'm counting about two hands worth of people) that have said that I have a great smile.  BUT, I hate my smile and always have!  All I see is  my teeth which are too small and my gums which are too big... it just doesn't look good. I wish I had my mom's and my oldest sisters smile- much better.  I don't even know if I've told them I am jealous of their beautiful smiles.

However, I have had people out of the blue tell me they think I have a great smile.  Even last night my mom's best friend wrote to me about how she was so excited to see my smile on my wedding day next month.  My first thought was, "me?" My next thought was, "is she just being nice?"  Guess not.

Third thought, here is the exact quote, "You will make a stunning bride, with a smile that melts our hearts."  How sweet is this?  Even better than I remembered.  

Own it, KG, own it!

And remember, "Women are their own worst beauty critics," Dove says. "Only 4% of women around the world consider themselves beautiful ... we decided to conduct a compelling social experiment that explores how women view their own beauty in contrast to what others see."