Thursday, December 19, 2013

Men don't understand

Although my husband and I were trying to get pregnant, we were both surprised, excited, weirded out all at the same time.  He was distracted when I told him, on his way out the door to a job interview.  His response to me was a curt, "good job."  It wasn't close to the response I wanted, but he was more enthusiastic a few hours later when he got back home. 

I felt compassion from N when I had a rough bout of morning sickness one night during my 7th week.  In what felt like an immediate moment in time, I was forced to run to the bathroom to throw up three times in a row.  That was the only time I threw up, but it served the purpose to showing N that this whole pregnancy was real, serious, and shouldn't be taken lightly. 

I haven't yet gone through labor, but it's safe to say I'm already pretty freaked out by the prospect.  I know that I'll get through it, because I have to and millions of other women have before me. Men, on the other hand, never have, and never will.  The whole process isn't fair given everything in our lives changes, and nothing in their life does. 

Today I saw this, and felt vilified.