Monday, January 6, 2014

A lasting marriage

I loved that this article I read about why the author's marriage shouldn't have lasted.  I understood it completely.  My husband and I are not carbon copies of one another.  We have more things that are different about us than are similar.  We are both Greek-American, are in love with our dogs, we love to laugh and tease one another and neither of us are into arguing.  We are on the same page about our goals and values. But....
  • I'm a planner, he lives in the moment. 
  • I'm a reader, he is not (he's a math person, whereas I am not).
  • I watch dramas, he watches sports.
  • I'm a Redskins fan, he's a Cowboys fan.
  • I like all types of music, except most of what he likes (weird metal/Irish rock).
  • I don't wear shoes in the house, ever. He wears shoes all the time (although recently I've gotten him into wearing slippers my grand dad got him, which he thinks are "awesome.").
  • I toss and turn all night long, he stays in one position.
  • I love to organize (and get rid of things), he's a semi-hoarder.
  • I'm into religion, he's into sleeping in on Sundays (because God knows he deserves it).
I could go on, but I think you get the point.  Much like the article, the thing that continues to bring us back together every day, despite our differences, is choice.  We make the choice, every day, to stay with each other.  We make the choice to love each other and forgive one another.  My biggest choice, is to assume the best of him.