Thursday, December 16, 2010

Mission

A long time ago, when I was 15, I made a decision that I would go on a trip to provide service for God.  I didn't know what I would do, or when I would do it. But I made a commitment.  And then 15 years went by.  But I'm a lady of my word, and when I finally came back around, full circle so to speak, I was ready to serve.  


I applied to go on a mission trip to Alaska.  A service project to help repair some battered Orthodox Churches there. I figured it wouldn't be as far away as the African or Asian trip options.  Plus, I could be handy, and I wouldn't have to learn a new language to fend for myself.  And anyone who knows me well, knows my inability to learn languages is laughable.  


Instead, I was sent to Korea to teach English to kids.  I like to say that when God comes calling, you pick up the phone.  And when he opens up a door, you walk through it.  And that's what I did.  It was one of the best experiences of my life.  I've never felt so unexpectedly fulfilled in my life.  What a surprise!


Keeping a promise to myself encouraged me to step out of my comfort zone and do something unexpected.  I'm thankful for the opportunity I had to do so, and hope to do it more often.