Thursday, December 16, 2010

Tell me who your friends are

My whole life my mother has mentioned time and time again, "tell me who your friends are, and I'll tell you who you are."  I used to hate how often she'd say it.  At the most annoying times.  When she was trying to prove a point about some mistake I had just made, or was about to make.  When she wanted me to stop and think about  whose company I kept, and whose influence affected me.  


But she was so right.  


As I got older, I became increasingly selective about whose company I kept.  There are lots of great people out there.  Lots of people I call "friend."  But there are a few who would walk through fire for me.  A few who fought my battles with me, and still do to this day.  

When I take a frank look at who my best friends are, I'm proud.  They are amazing people who are not only smart, successful and loyal.  They are kind and loving.  They never give up on me, and have faith and hope for me when I'm not feeling 100% up to it.  Just knowing that they believe in me, encourages me to get back to neutral and believe in myself again.  



I realize I'm bragging, but I'm getting to a point.  Find some great friends.  The kind that will last a lifetime.  The kind that will be there for you when it seems like all hope is lost.  Having a support system like that will get you to the finish line, every time.