Thursday, May 9, 2013

Women Can't Have it All ...and that's ok

Now that I am (almost) married, I am embracing the fact that I can't do everything, and I can't have everything.  That means, that something has to give.  I can't be the best friend, daughter, employee, fiance/wife at the same time.  There is not enough time in the day!

Listen to this woman, who has struggled with this professional and personal dilemma   In particular, if you are a mom, you have to realize that you won't be able to do everything no matter what.  You can't be the most present mom and the best employee.  Anne-Marie Slaughter made the choice to give up a very high esteemed job with the government in order to go back to being closer to home and more present for her family.

I get it.  I don't judge her.  I probably would have done the same thing.  Hell, I moved two hours South to a smaller city, away from my family and my career trajectory in order to make N happy and have a more care-free life style.   That was my choice, and after three months, I can say honestly, it was the best one for us as we start our new life together.