Tuesday, January 17, 2012

How are you doing?

I was at church a few days ago and I ran into someone I hadn't seen in a few months.  I said "good morning" and "how are you" ...and she did the same.  We smiled.  I responded and told her I was doing well.  She paused and said, "no, KG, how are you really doing?"

It was one of the nicest things someone has done for me in awhile.  This woman isn't a best friend, or even a close friend.  I've just met her through volunteering efforts.  But I have always found her to be sincere and kind.  So her question was well placed and well received.

It's important to read between the lines when you are checking in with friends- all to often we give automatic responses that we are fine and everything is "ok".  Perhaps we should consider actually telling the truth every now and again.  See what happens.....