Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Volunteering

I grew up with parents that were happy to lend a hand to whomever, whenever. My mom helped at hospitals, picked up old people when they needed a ride somewhere, visited sick friends, made dinner for someone who needed it, etc etc.  I recall my dad driving through the city one day, stopping the car (we were wondering what was going on), and running across the street to help someone in a wheel chair who was having problems getting onto a sidewalk.  They are just those type of people.

It must be why volunteering makes sense to me.  It's a part of my life.  My parents taught me "to whom much is given, much is expected."  You can never sit on your laurels.  If you have a lot you have to give back.

That is why, when I read this little interview, I got it.  When I travel internationally to help others, it makes my life seem so trivial- but all the more worthwhile.  It matters.  Lend a hand when you can.