Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Real Women

I hate leaving the house without make up on.  I only do it if I'm going somewhere that I'm pretty certain I know I won't run into anyone I know, or anyone that will care (like my best friends). Or somewhere that I can easily dodge and weave people I know without them seeing my hideous non-makeup'd face.  I'm serious.  I think I look bizarre and hideous with out eyeliner on.  I hate my eyelashes.  They are straight and don't easily curl!

I was in church this past week, feeling pretty great because I had on a cute dress and my makeup was done just so.  Somehow, my boyfriend and I started chatting (bad me!) about something and he tells me- very nonchalantly- that he prefers me without make up. I'm serious.  I still can't believe he is, but he said it.  I realize I should be happy, but I found it disturbing.

No wonder why.  Here's another example of how advertising messes with our heads.  This woman is beautiful by any stretch of our imagination.  But they use computers to make her look unrealistically perfect.  This is what we compare ourselves to.