Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Sibling Appreciation

I love my sisters and they love me.  But I'm sure they'll agree that we all annoy the hell out of each other in a specific way more than any other person could.  However, if anyone messes with my sisters, I'll maim them in two seconds flat.  Siblings are the people that know where you came from in a way that no one else does.  It's important to have a touchstone to your past and siblings can provide that.

According to this video from Jeffrey Kluger, last born kids have more ability to charm, disarm,  intuit, funny, and dodge those punches from older siblings. They are all less often vaccinated as much as the older kids.  I'm a last born kid, and I accept that I am ALL of those thing.  I kid.  But I often wonder what birth order had to do with who I am today.  I am the shortest by the way in our family, as most younger kids typically are in a family.

He also mentions that the biggest trigger amongst siblings is property- kids are always fighting over toys and what is "fair."  But that is a part of growing up.  Learning what is fair, when to give up and when to hold your ground.  Then again, older siblings have the same problems it seems.

The speaker notes to viewers to make the most of those bonds with siblings.  His advice:  If sibling relationships are broken and can be fixed, fix them.  If you they work, make them better.  Failing to do so, is like having 1000 acres of fertile farmland and letting it lie fallow.