Sunday, June 24, 2012

It takes a Village

My best friend J turned me onto this story which I hadn't paid attention to when it was plastered across the media a few weeks ago. I can't help but be moved by this feel good story about courage that just won't quit.
It's the (true) story about a girl who is homeless, worked as a janitor at her high school, and managed to get a full ride to Harvard by graduating with a 4.0 GPA.

Her accomplishments are amazing.  What a fighter!  But the other outstanding take away from this story is how powerful a community can be if it works together.  Dawn's community made sure she didn't become a ward of the state so that she could continue to live her life and graduate from her high school.  They made sure she ate and have a place to stay.  They are her family.

It makes me wonder what each of us can accomplish if we step up and offer a hand to someone who needs it.