Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Sometimes simple is enough

I've realized that my expectations are a bit off at times.  I look at movies and TV and what's happening in US Weekly and expect that my life should mirror it.  It doesn't and it never will.  In most cases my best aspiration is for my life to be simple and uncomplicated by the potential problems that are out there.   

I'm reminded by this when I think about how I want N to show his love for me.  I scheduled for this post to publish the day after N and I decided to spend the rest of our lives together.  It's interesting timing in hindsight.  The book mentioned in the post is one of the best concepts about relationships I have ever read about.  The "five love languages" speaks about what your partner wants out of you, not simply what you are able to provide.  Do you want a hug but your partner isn't affectionate?  Tell him/her.  Are you a talker?  Tell your person.  Need a gesture? Tell them.  

It may sound odd but I'm still trying to be 100% clear about what my strengths are, what I want and what N needs. I've learned that my needs can be situational.  At times I just want him to listen, others I want him to make me laugh, give me a hug.  My favorite is when he's sweet out of no where, like when he wrote me the below in response to some music lyrics I sent him:

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
I am awesome, it's because of you.

It's not elaborate, but this simple silly expression of his love, made me so very happy.  When you get the chance, tell your person what you need.