Saturday, November 10, 2012

Gender Rules

When I was little my mom didn't want me to play soccer because I was a girl, and she felt that soccer was a boys sport.  I was allowed to do ballet (and tap!).  I hated ballet and tap.  All I wanted to do was play soccer and be a Goal Keeper.

At 10 years old, I found my own team, tried out, made the team, found my own ride there - and went to my dad to get the $20 I needed for my uniform. He agreed.  I was thrilled and went on to play soccer on local, travel and High School soccer teams.  I wasn't the best, but I was OK for a minute or two.  In my 20's I coached a girls team for about five years which had a great impact on my life.  I still love soccer all these years later.

When I saw this video I was so proud of this little girl- she's playing tackle football, an aggressive sport that will really only tolerate girl kickers in some cases. There was a girl that played college ball.  In DC, there is a female high school football coach, even.

Who is to say what people are capable of if you eliminate the chance for them to even try?

Man can this kid play!  Who cares if she's a girl?  Check it out: