Monday, June 27, 2011

Black Sheep

I thought there was no way that I was biologically related to my sisters and parents when I was a kid.  I was the only one who had a name that started with a "K", whereas all of their's started with "D's".  I was the only south paw.  As we got older, I stayed the shortest, and remained the youngest (and therefore potentially an afterthought.)  I was always nerdier than my sisters, into sports-  just plain different.  I even wondered if I'd been adopted.

I felt like I was the black sheep of my family. To a degree I still do.  Except now, I'm proud of the differences.  I think they helped me grow and gain some individuality.

It's funny, I was so focused on the differences, I lost sight of the very many ways I am so much like both of my parents.  It is insanely obvious at this point in my life that I am the direct blood relation of both of my parents.  My interests, my tastes, my character...even my humor comes from one or both of them.  I'm proud of the reminder I have of them to keep them with me.