Thursday, June 2, 2011

If I died tomorrow....

I had a few friends over for dinner tonight the conversation came to death.  A girl friend met a man who only has a short time left to live.  She was impacted by his vivaciousness in spite of the terminal nature of his health.  I immediately thought out loud, "huh... wonder what I would do if I knew I would die in a short period of time?"  A friend who has a young son noted she would make some videos for him, obviously.  Which reminded me of this lovely man, Randy Pausch and his awe inspiring "Last Lecture."
If I knew I was dying, would I tell people?  Or would I keep it to myself?  Would I travel?  Would I tell everyone I loved them and why?  Would I say my goodbyes?  Would I cross off some crazy things from my to do list?

As I quickly wondered to myself, I drew a blank.  Literally, the only thing I could think of that I would need to do is say good bye to the people I love.  I would want to tell them that time flies, and I would see them again. I would want to pray for peace for my family and each other.

Maybe I need more time to come up with a fabulous list- but to be honest, I've lived a pretty full life already. I don't need a lot more.  What would you want to do?