Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Greed

"How slight and insignificant is the thing which casts down or restores a mind greedy for praise." - Horace

Greed is one of the seven deadliest sins that I ignore easily at first blush since it is typically associated with excessive money or big business.  Greed reminds of of the movie, "Wall Street" whereby the main character Gordan Gecko claims that:

"The point is, ladies and gentleman, that greed -- for lack of a better word -- is good.

Greed is right.
Greed works.
Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Greed, in all of its forms -- greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge -- has marked the upward surge of mankind.
And greed -- you mark my words -- will not only save Teldar Paper, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA."


I don't typically live in a fashion that would suggest I'm terribly greedy.  Then I start to consider the more subtle ways greed presents itself in my life, I start to feel guilty.

The quote above is a great example.  I had a professional coup last week.  It really was the type of thing that I never should have made happen, but I did.  Fate? Luck? Who knows?  But I wanted to get praise from the big boss, and a lot of it.  I must remind myself that compliments, praise and awards don't mean much beyond the five minutes after you're received your prize.   The knowledge that you have the capacity to achieve, is truly priceless.