Friday, November 9, 2012

Maturity

"The day the child realizes that all adults are imperfect, she becomes an adolescent; the day she forgives them, she becomes an adult; the day she forgives herself, she becomes wise." 

--Alden Nowlan, Canadian poet, novelist and playwright


I'll be the first person to admit that I didn't get along with my parents while I was growing up.  I was mad at my Dad because he was never around (he worked over 100 hours a week up until a few years ago).  The brunt of the rearing came from my mom who had three girls with very big and different personalities to tend to.  

me and my bestie (i.e my mom:)
They weren't perfect (and still aren't).  There are things they did and decisions they made that I would never make were I in the same position.  But they loved us.  They provided for us and nurtured us.  As an adult my mother has apologized for any mistakes she made while raising us. My response to her:  nonsense! 

They did the best they could.  I know this implicitly.  I forgive them for not being perfect, and I have asked them to forgive me for the same very human mistakes I made.  

Have you ever met folks that still complain about the way they were raised, or mistakes their parents made 20, 30, or even 40+ years ago?  There are exceptions to what I'm about to say of course, but all I really want to say is, let it go.  Move on.  When you are a parent, do you think you are going to have it all figured out?  Doubtful.  

I can proudly say that years later, my mom is my best friend.  I absolutely would never have guessed that we would be as close and I'm thrilled I was wrong.  Love you, mom!