Thursday, November 1, 2012

Worried about the future ?


"If we really fully belong to God, then we must be at His disposal and we must trust in Him. We must never be preoccupied with the future. There is no reason to be so. God is there."    Brother Roger of Taize
                      
I could drive myself crazy (and sometimes I do) when I consider the possibility of what will happen in the future.  Then, I stupidly try to plan around what MAY happen.  It's controlling.  It's foolish.  It's a habit.  

I know I'm not alone here, which makes me feel a bit better.  But I also know that while others are in my boat, we all continue to struggle with the problem of trying to control our futures.  While there are certain things we can control, there are many others we can't.  In fact, we can't control other people in our lives, which is often the source of our frustrations.

Example:  I wonder what N is going to do about his career.  I worry about how much time he spends (or wastes) on certain hobbies I think are stupid.  I angst over our unborn/ unconceived children and how we'll raise them.  I worry about how we'll ever agree about how to spend money.  

Clearly, there is no way I'm going to solve - on my own- our future problems.  Especially since N doesn't plan for the upcoming weekend, let alone a five year plan.  

My faith tells me it is foolish to waste my time worrying about anything.  If I'm truly faithful, then I should know that God will take care of things ultimately.  In Him, all things are possible.  Clearly, my Faith wanes.  

For those who just need some good common sense, repeat after me- "It's going to be OK.  Just Be!"