Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Keep them Guessing

I voted today as I have in every election since I was able at 18.  I headed to the polls this afternoon with the hopes that the projected long lines would be shorter.  Luckily, they were.  I was happy to vote and get my sticker.  It reminded me of when I was a kid and my mom would take me to vote with her.  She would let me hit the "vote" button and I thought I had so much power.

As I walked into the building today I saw a woman in front of me who had two canes she was walking with.  I noticed she was having a rough time of it. She had a folding chair over her shoulder that was jostling around.   I approached her and asked her (very gingerly) if she could use a hand.  She gladly accepted my help and we chatted as we walked toward the entrance.

She was there to help pass out leaflets - and I know she noticed that I grabbed both of the sample ballots as I always do.  She looked somewhat confused as to why I would help her out, but said "thank you" several times.  I assured her it was not a big deal at all and wished her a good day.

Doing the right thing has nothing to do with politics or preferences.  I love the fact that I helped someone from the other side of the political fence today ;)