Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Too much stuff

Have you ever felt overwhelmed by your possessions?  Or perhaps, by the necessity to have things, put things places, get rid of things, fix things, get things, etc?  Consumerism!  Talk about a cluster f/$*it show.

I'm no hoarder, but I've been known to hold on to things long after their utility expired.  I have to force myself to donate or throw away at times.  Often, it's items that have sentimental value that are the hardest to deal with.  The physical remembrance shouldn't matter, our memories are the most important reminder we need in life.

Which brings me to my point.  What if we only had 130 square feet of living space?  I'm so beholden to my possessions I couldn't FIT into a space that small.  However, I feel sheer excitement when I think about the possibility of living in a small space- less space, less problems, less chores, less utility usage.  Less.  Which means more potential contentment.

Oh, by the way, this 16 year old kid, is taking into consideration smart living (as in environmentally friendly) and low cost living (so he doesn't get caught in a situation where he has a mortgage he can't afford).  Smart!