Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Dream Big

Have you ever shared a dream with someone?  A big dream- something that took a long time to achieve?   The hard work you put forth often left you feeling like there was absolutely no way it was worth it?  Or that the length of time (in my case over five years) felt like an eternity?

I have been scheming and dreaming and working hard to build something.   My dream has been to build an office building so my colleagues can have a great space to work hard in.

In fact, I have a drawing hanging on the wall in my office which I drew in crayon when I was 6 years old.  In the drawing I am standing next to my dream office building I would build with my dad.  Twenty years later, I started making my dream come true.  Technically, this is work.  But my heart has been in this project for a long, long time.

I wouldn't have been able to do this without the help of a lot of really talented people. If I had to do it over again, I would make some changes, but I wouldn't trade in the experience for the world.  Plus, I've been able to build this with my dad, which is really gratifying.

I moved in today, and it felt so great.  When my dad came in to visit me, I saw him taking in the view- me, sitting behind my big girl desk, working hard.  He was proud and excited. Automatically, without saying a word, we both raised up our hands and gave each other a high five and grinned like school kids.  Then we giggled.  Our dream is a reality.  Wahoo!