Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Sadness Revisited: 9-11

I could write 10 different posts about September 11th.  I won't.  It's far too sad, and our society hasn't really changed since 2001.  I realize I shouldn't expect more, but in the weeks after that horrific event, I had a bit of hope.  Then, all that optimism was mired by what I considered insincere patriotism- an Über Nationalistic response to a terrorist act on our own land.

On Saturday, September 10th, I was driving over a bridge from DC back into Virginia.  All along the fence, someone placed flags in recognition of the next day, September 11.  Something about the effort someone had made to put up all those flags touched me and I felt warm tears rush down my cheeks.  They were tears of happiness as well as sadness.  I was inspired by the people who placed the flags on the bridge, and sad for the reason why they had to put them up.

One story that brought tears to my eyes today was this one-  about a Masaii village who was so touched by America's loss in 2001, that they donated not one, but 14 cows to honor us.  (note: cows are their most precious possession).  When people give so much, yet have so little, it gives me perspective about how generous (or not) I am.