Saturday, September 24, 2011

Can you justify your mean

I was in a meeting at my church this past week.  Someone said something I found pretty repulsive.  He didn't want us to pray for people of other religions.  More specifically, he believes the doctrine of our faith, strictly adhered  to indicates that Priests can't pray for anyone of another faith at the alter.  Seriously.  That doesn't seem to be how I perceive my benevolent and loving God.

It's true- I pick and chose who I think my God is.  Do I think I'm 100% right?  I have no idea.  But then again, I don't think anyone else can say they do with absolute authority either.

What I'm wondering is if this gentleman is cleaving to some archaic interpretation to justify his frustration and anger at those who don't share his exact beliefs? If so, I don't think holding onto that approach is going to get us any closer to getting on the same page.  And that's my ultimate goal (or hope).

Good thing I didn't say any more than I already did from my soap box- I have a tendency of not being able to keep my opinions to myself when I feel like someone is picking on someone else.