Sunday, September 4, 2011

Art as inspiration

I was driving to work a few months ago and I stopped at a stop light right by my house.  I had just got my coffee at my 7-11 (you know, the one that I go to every morning that reminds me of "Cheers").  Immediately to my right at the bus stop was a startling scene:  a post which was covered in yarn.  It almost appeared as though it was a leg warmer, but on a pole.  I thought that the homeless looking lady that typically hangs around that bus stop had done it.

Flash forward a few months, and I see a post on my neighborhood facebook page.  Apparently, I'm not the only one that noticed the work.  Further, research revealed that this leg warmer is a trend from Canada.  "Yarn Bombing" is considered knit graffiti.  I'm serious.

To be fair, I was confused at first, but then I realized, anyone that tries to bring a bit more color and beauty to this work we live in should be appreciated. Thank you Yarn Bombers!