Friday, September 2, 2011

Bad Habits

  • "Habit is overcome by habit."  Thomas a Kempis
  • "Habit converts luxurious enjoyments into dull and daily necessities." Aldous Huxley

I think the quote-of-the-day omen struck me this week.  Both of the above quotes were sent to me within a few days of each other.  It left me wondering if it was a coincidence or a sign that I should examine all my habits.  Bad habits, more specifically.  It seems like those are the only ones that stick out to me.  Hmm- what is a good habit I have?  Maybe one of you can help me with a few suggestions.

I'm currently considering what inspires a habit.  Is it a more subtle form of a addiction? If so, the first quote seems apt.  In order to rid yourself of one irksome habit, you need to replace that need with something else all together.


hab·it

1   [hab-it]  Show IPA
noun
1.
an acquired behavior pattern regularly followed until it has become almost involuntary.


I learned today (thanks to coworkers) that I whistle like my dad does- I assume I acquired the habit - involuntarily.  I suppose that isn't a horrible habit.  Unless you hate whistling.  Next up: an assessment of all my bad habits and what to do about them.