Thursday, September 29, 2011

Why being a woman is hard work

We still live in a man's world.  Period.  I barely consider myself a feminist by political standards - but I'm an absolute proponent that life should be fair.  I realize that makes me sound naive, but I'm allowed to be an idealist at times.

Men will never understand the challenges the women face.  We have to balance life in a way that men never have to consider.  We are continuously questioned and it is assumed that we are weaker.  I feel that it is necessary to understand the meaning of compromise in order to be a woman in the work place.  It's impossible to make it work otherwise.

When I look at my colleagues who have wives, I'm jealous.  I wish I had a significant other for that reason.  Because I know how much women manage, even if they are working full time themselves.  Women get stuff done, period.  We expect that life will be challenging and that we will have to wear multiple hats at all times.  Without help, I simply can't get my personal life in order.

Shoot, even the White House, with liberal leadership, experiences the gender inequality, according to this recent article.   Further, it was noted that,


"...Part of the problem is that women's worth is consistently undervalued by others. A March 2010 study by the American Association of University Women found that among postdoctoral applicants, women had to publish three more papers in the most prestigious journals, or 20 more in the less-prestigious ones, to be considered as productive as male applicants."