Sunday, April 10, 2011

Unexpected Kindness

I was at an event this afternoon, and found myself in a strange circumstance. I was having a normal conversation but  the thing that was odd about it was that we were having the conversation in English for my benefit.  The other four people speak another language (Greek) as their first language.  My Greek is laughable and below average at best.  But these three native Greek speaking folks went out of their way to carry on the conversation in English for my benefit.
How kind.  They certainly didn't have to.  It would have been understood if they rattled on speedily in Greek.  Afterward I was realized how generous it was of them to give up the opportunity to speak their native tongue in their second home here in the US.  And they did it for me.  If you guys are reading this, THANKS!