Wednesday, April 6, 2011

It's a choice

"We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked from hut to hut comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man, but one thing: the last human freedom – to choose one’s own attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."  
Viktor Frankl, a Nazi concentration camp survivor


I had a particularly stressful weekend because of my work load.  I was trying to focus on the end game and not worry about the details.  "Stay the course, KG," I told myself.  And then I got home Saturday evening to a broken fridge.  The kind of break that requires you to spend way too much money to replace something you hadn't planned on.  Talk about a bummer.  


I was frustrated and annoyed. Particularly because I simply didn't have the time to worry about resolving the problem.  The good thing was, I made a choice.  I choose not to let that additional burden affect my mood.  I had bigger fish to fry, as my dad likes to say.  


That was my choice.  And it felt good to make it.  Chose your choice.  You have the power to choose the attitude you have.