Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Quality Friends

"Associate yourself with people of good quality, for it is better to be alone than in bad company." 
- Booker T. Washington


By the time I got out of college, I thought I had enough great friends.  A small group of folks you can actually count on is all you need, right?  And how would I meet more people anyway?  I was closed off to the prospect that there was more good things up ahead, not to mention more awesome people.  About ten years later, I'm so happy I was wrong.  I was so very very wrong.


I've been blessed enough to make friends of friends.  And I've found friends in Grad School.  And recently, I found friends at Church.  These are quality people I have met that I never could have planned on.


When I was younger, I resisted the prospect that I would ever be friends with anyone I met at church.  It simply wasn't possible.  I was convinced I had nothing in common with anyone I met there.  In hindsight, I think I was scared that church friends wouldn't really like the real me with all my bumps and bruises from the very sinful life I've lived.    


The novel thing is, as soon as I opened myself up to being myself in a place that I was threatened by, the most amazing thing started happening.  Friends in church. And not just the type of friends that are cordial and polite to you when they see you walking by.  Real friends who are really awesome.  


Gotta love being wrong!