Thursday, April 7, 2011

Great Teams Exist

The only way to really know what a great team feels like, is to be apart of a really bad team at some point.  I know this from personal experience.

When you are a kid, they teach you that there is no "I" in "TEAM."  We're supposed to work together in order to accomplish a goal.  But as you grow up, you are forced to work in teams that you don't choose to be a part of.  In fact, you may rather work on your own than be a part of a team where you get stuck doing most of the work.

My work week has been particularly challenging.  We're working on a crucial project and the outcome can dramatically affect our future as a company.  In my ten years of working at my firm, this is the first time I can honestly say I feel like I'm a part of a synergistic team-like experience.  It feels great!  We're all still a bit stressed and anxious.  But since everyone is working very hard, I don't feel like I'm in this alone.

I find myself wanting to go the extra distance to be sure that I do as great a job as I can.  Plus, I want to be sure to help out my work buddies with their assignments in any way I can.  And the novel part? Everyone else is doing the same thing.  We were able to complete a massive project in an unbelievably short amount of time because we worked together and made a little extra effort unselfishly.  Now I know we can handle whatever comes next for our growing company.