Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Appreciating other cultures

I have wanted to go to a Seder Dinner for a long time.  Why?  I'm not quite sure.  I think it was because it seemed like a cool party I wanted to be invited to.  Plus, I knew there was alcohol involved.

It's great to realize that other cultures can teach us so much about our own.  I appreciate what I learned about the Jewish culture.  But more importantly, I took away the beauty of the similarities that my Christian Greek Orthodox religion shares with the Jewish.

There were similarities of renewal and following a path to the ultimate Exodus (or salvation for us Christians), Spring cleaning (or a catharsis) and many more.  Of course, let's not forget the food. The Greeks and the Jewish folks are equally all about the food.

As I drove home, all I could think about was how silly it was that we all can't focus more on the strengths of the similarities we share in life, instead of the differences.  If we could, it would be a far more peaceful place.
*And below, a funny passover themed video for your viewing pleasure.