Thursday, April 7, 2011

Something peaceful....

Someone pointed me in the direction of "Nest Cams."  What is it? It's a live camera up in an mama Eagle's nest in Iowa.  You can watch and hear the life unfolding for an Eagle couple who just gave birth (ahem...hatched) three hatchlings.  Adorable.  Hearing them coo and seeing the Daddy Eagle bring home the bacon (read: fish) is exciting and calming.

I don't think I'm the only one watching this who is left with a feeling of peace.  There is typically an average of about 130K other people doing the same thing in the middle of the day.  If I'm on a call at work, I throw up the Eagle fam on my monitor and watch what they are up to.  The Mama is protective and loving, always making sure the babies have something to eat.  At night, she rests with her head bowed low while the babies are snuggled beneath her wings.

Could you find anything that isn't fiction and yet still as sweet?  If you need a little release, watch this for a few minutes.  It's the simple things that nature provides that bring me happiness.

No wonder Bald Eagles were Endangered for so long-their habitats were devastated for centuries.  Good news: as of 2007, they have been downgraded and listed as "Threatened."  Progress!