Sunday, February 27, 2011

Reaching out

In this country though, we DO have people who are forgotten and hunger for companionship, people who thirst for conversation, people who are clothed in loneliness and feel imprisoned in their own homes, people who feel emotional sickness – often depression for lack of love.  We do have that here in this country.  I’ve seen it and have even felt it.
Even Mother Teresa used to note, “In the West, you may not have the physical poverty that we have in India, yet you have another type of poverty – a poverty of love. People are hungry for attention. They are thirsty for compassion. They long for a listening ear.
-Reaching Out to the lonely and forgotten, Anesti Jordanoglou
When I read the above from a sermon, I thought about how often I cheer for the underdog.  I seek out those who don't have anyone.  Those that are lost.  Those that seem lonely. Because I've been there.  And I may be there again.  And I want people that love me, and maybe even those that don't, to take the time to reach out to help me.  Be kind.  It matters.  The smallest thing to you, can be the biggest thing to someone else.