Tuesday, February 1, 2011

When no one is looking

What are you doing when no one is looking?  Do you have a resting "bitch face"?  You know, when your not smiling or talking, what does your face look like?  Confused? Mean? Engaging? I think it matters, and speaks to your underlying temperament.

Do you return your cart after you leave the grocery store?  Do you hold a door open for the next person?  Do you wave when someone lets you in while you are driving? Do you smile at the person who checks you out at the store?

I pose this challenge to you:  do a good deed when no one is looking.  See what happens.

I have a quick personal story to give you an idea of why I think this is important.  I was at my local Harris Teeter, and came upon some item on the ground which had fallen from a display. Someone left it there.  I picked it up, and put it back in place and started to walk to the next aisle.  Seconds later, a man ran up to me.  He worked at the store and had kind eyes and an engaging smile.  He told me how much it meant to him that I went out of my way to help him out when so many other people walked by and didn't make the effort.  It was literally no problem at all, and meant almost nothing to me.  But it meant a lot to him.