Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Sometimes I think we were happier when we were 5

 “We are never happy; we can only remember that we were so once" Alexander Smith


The quote above is a bit negative, but there is some truth to it.  I've read it's  hard to appreciate the good without having something bad to compare it against.  And perhaps the same could be said for happiness, the void of happiness at some point allows you to recognize it when it comes back around.  


But the truth is, when I think about how easy life was when I was 5, I think that might have been the happiest I'll ever be in my life.  Don't get me wrong, I'm quite satisfied with the life I have today.  But there was something simply  indulgent about life at 5:  Naps, snacks, play dates, no work or challenges.  Maybe that's why a lot of us want kids.  Then, we can get back a piece of what we left behind.