Friday, July 29, 2011

When you get what you want

Duke is my main man.  He's a 60+ pound, 6.5 year old standard poodle.  He's independent, loving, funny and stubborn.  I love my companion.  A few years ago, I thought it would be a good idea to get him a buddy.  Someone to keep him company while I was away for far too long during the days and nights.  I knew that getting a puppy would mean a year of hard time.  If you've had a puppy, you know what I mean.  They are utterly dependent on you like a new born baby. Plus, if you don't train them correctly from the beginning, you are in for a nightmare thereafter.

Anyway, flash forward to March of this year.  I had literally JUST been looking at getting another animal in February.  I was thinking of adopting so I didn't have the puppy issues.  The dog I inquired after went to another.  I was a bit disappointed.  A few weeks later, Metro started staying with me.  I didn't choose his name (in fact, I tried calling him Murphy to see if it would stick- it didn't.  Metro is set in his ways).  He needed a place to stay and Duke is thrilled. He has another dog to play with and harass.  I'm happy too.  Metro loves to snuggle where Duke does not.  Plus, he's the sweetest easiest dog, ever.  The boys are thick as thieves.  Don't even get me started about how they whimper when I take one away for a few hours for a vet appointment.

Isn't it great how things work out- better than you could have anticipated or planned for yourself?