Friday, September 7, 2012

Speak out

Yesterday I was telling you yesterday about my interaction with my neighbors.  I was intrigued when some neighborhood politics came up in conversation.  A few months ago I received an email from one of the neighbors about a somewhat controversial topic which was sent to my neighbors.    The leader of the pack wanted us to all join together to basically sign a petition to speak out to a developer who planned to demolish the house across the street and build a brand new one.   He didn't want a larger house to be built in its place of the the little one.

Keep in mind this gentleman did the exact same thing two years ago when he tore down his smaller house to build a much larger one. I wasn't quite sure why he had an issue considering his own "little" renovation.

No one wrote back to the email except me.  I put together an email to respond back to the group and told him that I didn't feel comfortable attempting to restrict someone else's rights to do what they wanted on their own property and a few other comments. I was nice but frank.

Today I was told by a neighbor that she was happy I wrote what I did and she completely agreed.  She never got a chance to respond herself, but wanted to.

I'm really happy I spoke my mind.  It goes to show you how often there may be others that share your opinion, but don't have the time, energy or gumption to do anything about it.

Speak your mind, people.