Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Failure with a capital "F"

I failed. I did.  I really messed up.   Exact email from my boss yesterday:

"Is it “we” or is it “I” messed up???


I’m VERY disappointed that you didn't get this done on time. "

What's worse?  I work for my dad.  He's not my direct boss, but he's the big boss.  I was working on something with a few other people, but I really needed (and did) to take ownership of the failure.  The repercussions for this error is that we aren't able to bid a job that we had a good chance of winning.  Worse, the amount of effort that the team put forth on this bid is a financial waste.

I could have come up with more legitimate excuses, but none of them matter.  Plus, I'm the superior in this situation, so blaming those that work for me, is akin to throwing them under the bus.  I won't do that.

I feel awful and am going through the process of examining what went wrong.

I'm working remotely now, and rushed home a day early to see my husband, when I should have stayed in the city to make sure the project was done correctly.  I'm feeling terribly conflicted no matter which way I go with any decision I make these days, and the above, is a direct example of how I feel like I'm failing all around.

More work to do.  More patience needed.  Onward.  Upward.