Friday, July 19, 2013

Lending a hand

I like helping other people.  I really do.  It makes me happy to help people, especially those I care for. Perhaps I enjoy the response I get from people when I do them a favor, and in that way, it is far more of a selfish act, than a truly selfless one.

Nonetheless, I had a fulfilling day helping a good friend out.  She had what was an overwhelming task at hand.  We tackled her organization project together and an hour or so later, we were done.  Bedrooms organized. Ready for guests.  She was thrilled and appreciated the help.

After, I wondered how much I knew I would get out of the project from the appreciation I would receive from the recipient? Did I do it because I knew that I would get accolades out of it?  How genuine was the favor?  If I'm being honest, I think that I hoped (deep down) that my friend would be happy, I would make her life easier, and even deeper down, that she would love me for it.

She loves me anyway.  I didn't have to do anything but I did it anyway, because I love her.

There you have it.  I did the favor anyway, not just for self-gratification.  I think that is the most important and primary take away.

Screw it all.  I'm going to help out people whenever and however I want.