Monday, September 16, 2013

Another day, another tragedy

Today was a tragic day in Washington, DC.  I hate to focus on the evil violence.  I can't help but be sad about the tragedy.  Thirteen people including a gunman was killed today at the Washington Navy Yard.  It was a massacre.
I worked very close by for 12 years.  My company has done work at the site.  I have been there for a few meetings.  I have walked around that campus and around those city blocks.  I know someone who was there sheltering in place in the Medical Building.  My best friend's husband is a police officer who was thankfully not working there today. 

This awful turn of events reminds me of the Mr. Rogers quote:

“When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping,'" Fred Rogers, Mister Rogers Parenting Book.

We can focus on the bad stuff or the good.  Like some colleagues helping their blind coworker escape today.  That is the good stuff. 

May God be with the families of the victims, and may their memory be eternal!