Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Love vs. Infatuation

I found the title of this article jarring.  Then I read it, and couldn't help but relate.  I've only been married for four months.  But I already feel very differently about my husband than I did before we got married or even from when I met him almost four years ago.  A lot has changed. 

Infatuation is defined as:
in·fat·u·a·tion: [ in fàchoo áysh'n ]   1. temporary passion: an intense but short-lived and irrational passion for somebody or something

Love, as I know it now, is far different than I felt when I knew, that he was the one for me.  I know it will change even more over time.

As the article notes, "No, love isn’t an emotion or even a noun.  It’s a verb.  Better defined as giving.  As putting someone else’s needs above your own. Why wasn’t I getting reciprocal lovey-doveyness when we were first married?  Because it wasn’t for her.  It was for me.  An emotion I had in my chest. And even when I let it out of my chest, it wasn’t love.  Being sappy isn’t love.  Telling someone you love them doesn’t mean that you do. "