Saturday, September 14, 2013

How to turn hate into love

I don't use the word "hate" in my every day vernacular.  Hate is a very strong word.  In my mind, I equate "Hate" with wanting something, or someone, eradicated.  I use it so sparingly, when I do, I feel a twinge of pain when I use it. I can only think of one person that I actually hate, other than those who commit brutal crimes against humanity. 

Martin Luther King, Jr was an amazingly loving leader.  He said, "hate cannot drive out hate...only love can do that. Hate multiplies hate, and violence multiplies violence in a descending spiral of destruction… Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into a friend.”

MLK, Jr. makes it seem like a simple solution.  My life's goal is to turn my hate into love.  Hopefully, I will have a long life to work on that goal, because I am certain I will need the time to make it a reality. 

In my daily devotional, Father Luke Veronis speaks on this topic.
"To cultivate such divine love in our hearts doesn’t come easy. It demands a strong desire on our part, and a willingness to struggle with a disciplined effort. Our Lord Jesus Christ is ready to fill our hearts with this love, but He will never impose it upon us. He offers it freely, but we have to open up the door of our hearts and receive it. In order to open up our hearts, that means we have to break down the walls which hinder divine love – the obstacles of hatred, fear, insecurity, self-righteousness, arrogance, pride and self-centeredness. Breaking down these walls may be painful and scary. We often get used to the barriers we set up in our lives which hinder God’s love. Christ came to free us from these obstacles, however, and once the walls come tumbling down, He will fill us with His divine love!
 
Loving one another, forgiving one another, sacrificing for one another, and showing mercy and compassion to one another – these are the ultimate qualities of any authentic Orthodox Church and any true Orthodox Christian."
 
It's a long road, but I'm headed down it with the arsenal of God's love fulfilling me.  I love YOU, team.  Thanks for standing by my side on my journey.