Sunday, September 29, 2013

Bullying

I'm pretty sure there were times when I went along with bullying, even if I wasn't leading the way.  In fact, I know it.  I remember I made fun of this girl's shoes in third grade.  To be honest, they aren't anything I would appreciate, even today.  They were blue felt like material with gold brocade on them.  I told this girl, (whom I soon thereafter became best friend's with) they were ugly.

Somehow, Dolly found out.  (Dolly is my mom).  She found out I made this girl cry.  She yelled at me!  She made me call the girl and apologize after school.  She made me realize how much of a B I was. 

Thank God she did! 

I didn't realize that you don't always have to say what you are thinking.  In fact, you shouldn't.  I also learned as I grew older that sticking up for the little guy, the defenseless, gave me far more pride, than laughing at someone else's supposed shortcomings. 

In college, when I should have known better, I got super angry.  This random guy was making fun of my friend.  Truth be told, I was inebriated;  I got so pissed, I punched him.  I'm not proud of my use of physical violence.  I point this out to exhibit how far I came- and I never would have gotten there if my mom hadn't steadied my course.   Thanks, Mom!

This poor girl wasn't so lucky.  People, especially kids, can be such D's.  Poor hairy Greek kid.  I wish she was at my elementary school and we could have laughed about how ridiculous being Greek is.