Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Not to, to tattoo ?

Almost everyone I know has a strong conviction about tattoos.  Some hate them.  Some love them.  Some don't care.

I think they can be cool.  I think some of them are ridiculous.  I think some are tacky.  I think some of them are works of art.  Like any work of art, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I decided to wait it out until it feels right, one way or another.  I know what I'd want to get, and there is a reason why.

Kyrie Elesion, or   is Greek for "Lord have mercy," which is one of the most succinct prayers Christians have been using for two thousand years. It means a lot to me.  I want to be forced to commit myself to what it means, no matter what.  I'm not the only one who feels the same way.  Because when I goggled it, there were many others who had the same bright idea, to put their tattoo in the same location.

In fact, other Orthodox Christians place a tattoo signifying their faith on their hands, and have for centuries.

I don't want to let the opinions of others influence me.  I want to do this for me, and I want to be proud of it.  I also want to be able to cover it up if I chose to :)